Monday, August 31, 2015

Como Se Dice A Great Weekend in Iceland?

Hello again!
It is Monday morning, and my first class begins in about two hours. It is very exciting!

I finally got my own room, and although it's much needed, I will miss my Spanish roommates who will all be up on the 3rd floor.  Here is an idea of what my tiny world looks like:



Not a lot of room, but enough! 

On Friday we had a meeting for our program. It was amazing to meet so many people from all over the world who is interested in the Vikings, medieval manuscripts, language, and religious studies. I also met a terrific group of Americans (some even from the mid-west!) who finally were able to understand and groan at my jokes! 

On Saturday, the Spanish crew took me along to one of the outdoor swimming pools. Yes it was cold outside. But the pools are heated and it felt great. Afterwards we grabbed an Icelandic hot dog and I eventually found my way into a bar with some new Norwegian friends and Judith from Germany. I stayed up so late! Like 1:30 in the morning!

Sunday was by far the best day I've had in Iceland. Judith, the Norwegians, Ramon and I caught a bus  out to Mount Esja just outside of the city. A lot of the people from my program were also hiking out there so it was quite a group! Ramon had never climbed a mountain before and yours truly is incredibly out of shape, so we didn't make it all the way to the top, but it was a beautiful day with an amazing view as the clouds rolled in and smothered out the sun.








Though I was exhausted on returning home, not to mention irritated by the bus being nearly an hour late in picking us up in the cold and rain, I was invited to Manuel's house to enjoy a traditional Spanish dinner. So Ramon and I showered then walked a few blocks and enjoyed an amazing night to top off a great day. 





The real work begins today, so hopefully I'll have some time to update this before too long!
-Z

No comments: